Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Holy Fuck / A Place to Bury Strangers @ Music Hall of Williamsburg - Sat Mar 22, 2008

Holy Fuck were Buried

I hate going to shows when I am sick, but you know, I had the tickets, I was taking out friends who were visiting the city, and this was the first time I was going to see Holy Fuck sort of headlining a show. I had to go. I told my friends that by the end of the night to decide what band was better live we could have just tossed a coin. It turned out that wasn't necessary either, A Place to Bury Strangers must have felt really home because they blew Holy Fuck away.


I am a fan of Holy Fuck for a longer time than of A Place to Bury Strangers, but after this show I am afraid I will be enjoying more the latter. I saw Holy Fuck for the first time opening for !!! and they almost steal the show. Since then, I saw them opening (and stealing shows) for so many bands in the city that I wondered whether they were really from Canada or not. It was about time they would headline their own show here, but they made a mistake... they played Brooklyn and their openers were one of the most loved local bands there.

A Place to Bury Strangers were brought to my attention by Pitchfork, got the album, thought it was cool, saw them once live and still thought they were cool, but the night of March 22 they were not only cool to me but a great live band. I mean, they stole Holy Fuck's show! Their self-titled debut album and their gorgeous noise and feedback doesn't sound anymore to me like an imitation of Jesus & Mary Chain or Joy Division, but like a balanced amalgamation.

Holy Fuck's encore was special. They invited A Place to Bury Strangers on stage to play their lovely Lovely Allen (that Radiohead likes btw) with all their guitars and black boxes. It ruled... Holy Fuck needs some of that.


I am running out of time and I didn't really talk about the show itself, sorry. One last thing... I never wanted to say Holy Fuck is not worth your $15 anymore in case you got that impression. No. Holy Fuck is still a powerful band live, but their albums haven't been aging too well for me and I might have seen them live way too often. And as someone who is digging new music all the time, I guess I just needed some fresh air. [photos of the show]

♫♫♫♫♪

Were you at the show? How did you like it?


A Place to Bury Strangers Links: Official Website, MySpace, YouTube, at Daytrotter,
Holy Fuck Links: Stream Holy Fuck (LP), Official Website, MySpace, Wiki

No comments: