Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Dodos @ Spiegeltent - Mon Sep 29, 2008

Spiegeltent

Early in July I saw saw some of the most intense live shows I've had this year. There were too many good ones in such a short time, that I wasn't able to blog them properly. The Dodos were the act that impressed me the most. I waited for my first chance to see them after that hot Saturday afternoon at P4K Music Festival, where they blew my mind and convinced me they were not an Animal Collective ripoff, but an authentic folk/rock band rocking out one of the best albums of this year, their sophomore album called Visiter, and that day finally came a week ago. Unfortunately it wasn't as hot as before.


Not only the weather was not hot as before, but the set itself was not. It had more of their older songs which I don't think are as great as their new ones. Somehow it was good for me anyway, because I got to pay attention to something else different than Meric Long hands and his long nails, and his excellent guitar playing. The drummer, Logan Kroeber, is quite good too. To keep it short, he can pat his head and rub his belly at the same time. And he is cute.


It's amazing how much sound they can achieve basically with just an acoustic guitar (amplified, of course) and a drum set (plus a garbage aluminium can). That Animal Collective comparison that surrounds them is not for free. We've heard stuff like this before and very well done by that collective, but was it done with such great lyrics and sweetness? I don't think so. Right there, with Visiter, The Dodos made space for themselves to be noticed and they are playing it quite well. See you in December, even though it will be colder... I hope you guys warm me up again. [photos of the show]

♫♫♫♫

Were you at the show? How did you like it?


The Dodos links: Stream Visiter, Official Website, MySpace, Wikipedia

No comments: