Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Besnard Lakes @ Maxwell's - Jul 15, 2007

Disaster

I like Pitchfork. They are my portal to new music and a couple of months ago I heard a song on their website called Disaster by an unknown rock band to my ears. The not unknown band anymore was The Besnard Lakes and live they were nothing close to a disaster.


The room was unusually almost empty. It has a capacity of approximately 200 people, but I must have counted only 30 there that night. Maybe that's why The Besnard Lakes sounded so loud, sometimes so loud that their voices were getting lost behind their three powerful guitars and I don't think that was the idea.


The Besnard Lakes are from Montreal, Canada, formed by the couple Jace Lasek and Olga Goreas. They both sing and sound gorgeous together. Jace, a guy with a sort of goofy/western look, plays guitar,and Olga, his wife, really kicks ass with the bass. Ah and they are good at choosing their people too. The other two guitarrists will leave you wanting more when they play a wonderful duel at the end of And You Lied to Me, one of the highlights of their new album Are the Dark Horse... it was amazing. The whole band sounded good together. Of course, Disaster was big and I was ready for that, but there's this song called Because Tonight with some great choruses and one guitarist playing its guitar with a violin's bow that was a pleasure to hear it for the first time and love it instantaneously. Does anybody know hwat was the name of the second to last song? the one before the cover of a Fleetwood Mac's song? Oh yes, I was forgetting that. So that second to last song was tremendous. I need to know what song it is cause it is not on the Are the Dark Horse, maybe on the first one.


I am listening to their new album right now. It is very good. I am not surprised they were just nominated for the Polaris Music Prize. I wish them luck. It is now reminding me of some other great moments during the show. As I said at the beginning, I went to see them without haven't heard more than one song before, but the pay-off was more than I expected.

In general it was a great concert and a privilege to see this up and coming band in such a small room as Maxwell's is (with so few people). See you next time Besnard Lakes, I will know your music better. [photos of the show]

♫♫♫♫

Were you at the show? How did you like it?


The Besnard Lakes' Links: Official Website, MySpace, YouTube

No comments: