Saturday, July 21, 2007

M.I.A. @ Siren Music Festival - Jul 21, 2007

Missing In Action

I didn't know what M.I.A. stood for. I found out today and it totally made sense. M.I.A. sings/raps over very original crazy beats that sometimes make you feel you are about to join the army or something.


It was only a couple of months ago that I heard Arular, her debut album, for the first time. I liked it but didn't convince me right away to play it one more time after finishing it. I wasn't really looking forward to her new album, which is coming out soon, but now I am very so. Today, in the Siren Music Festival, M.I.A. totally justified why those tickets for her next show on Wednesday at Studio B were all gone almost instantaneously. M.I.A. is hot and very, very good.

Since her music is very based on her beats, she performs with a DJ and a back up singer. You know, like a Jay-Z. She also dances nicely and synchronized with the other singer it kind of makes you move at least a leg. I moved both.


M.I.A. played several new songs including her new single Boyz, which sounded better to me than when I heard it the first time. The only thing I used to remember about it was that it had a rooster noise and that wasn't too pleasant... that changed today. Now I'll remember how she moved her hips while going down like if she was dancing reggaeton. She also covered a song called Jimmy, a song her mom used to sing her a lot when she was a child or that she used to sing a lot when she was eleven... whichever. Of course, she played almost all her hits too and closed the set with the let's-all-raise-our-arms-while-I-sing-the-chorus Galang. Do you have an extra ticket for her Studio B show? I want it. [photos of the show]

♫♫♫♫

Were you at the show? How did you like it?


M.I.A. Links: Stream Kala, Offical Website, MySpace, Wikipedia (recommended reading), YouTube, XL Recordings

No comments: